Germany (Third Reich): Luftwaffe Pilots Badge
The badge with makers marks / logo in reverse centre of the eagle, for 'Bruder Schneider, Wien'
Dimensions: Approx 66mm (w) x 53mm (h)
Weight: Approx 43g
Reverse fittings: Complete with original barrel hinged long vertical pin & clasp fittings as issued
The Luftwaffe's 'Pilots Badge' (Pilotenabzeichen) of the Third Reich was instituted by Hermann Göring on, 12 August 1935. It came in distinct types; nickel silver (changed to Tombac & Zinc during the war) and a variant made of gold. The badge depicts a silver eagle perched atop a swastika, wings open in a landing pose, and surrounded by a wreath with laurel on the right side and oak branches on the left side, respectively it was worn in the center of the left breast pocket of the service tunic, underneath the Iron Cross 1st Class if awarded. The badge was awarded after one completed flight training and the flying licence and citation were received